View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2012, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP View Post
I have to say now that the building is complete, it looks much, much better than I imagined.

It think it really succeeds at where most London building failed in the past: color. I can understand the dilemma of trying to hold up to the color scheme of historic London. The result was always something "cute" and "tasteful". All other London buildings were saying "yes, we really know we're not New York City". Which is awful, since I believe London has the authority to go big and bold. That's why the shard works; if it was any other exterior texture/color, it wouldn't work.

Color was the last piece of the London skyline puzzle. Almost every building had re-cladding or paint jobs recently. And new building spend a lot of time and effort on exteriors and night time lighting. Where as in the 90's these were the LAST things you'd see. There was almost a complete neglect to this.

I thank culture change. England no longer associates itself with the dirty and toiled and needlessly stuck on stuffy tradition.

it never did anyway muppet