View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Billionaire science geniuses who dabble in solar technology, electric cars, and motherf****** SPACESHIPS clearly lack the expertise to venture into high speed rail or other technologies. There are obviously more qualified people so why should we listen to Musk? Did I mention he builds SPACESHIPS?

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, if Musk has an opinion on toothpaste, I'm listening.
Next time the city of Madrid (or country of Spain for that matter) launches a rocket to the ISS, let me know, and I'll agree with you that high speed rail is somehow a more technically challenging project than spaceflight.

I'm not saying Musk is going to pull this hyperloop thing off because that would be utterly stupid since we have absolutely no details. But I am saying that writing him off is equally stupid since we have no details and Musk has created multiple companies that have successfully tackled some of the most "impossible" and technically challenging ideas of our day.

Just some food for thought: up until Musk came along, everyone assumed that spaceflight was something that could only be achieved by governments (or massive pseudo-governmental corporations like Boeing). It only took him about 10 years to eviscerate that notion, maybe he will have blown away your skepticism about this hyperloop idea as well in another 10 years.