View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
If Amazon wants an actual top tier truly cosmopolitan urban lifestyle for their employees then Philadelphia, San Francisco and New York are their only choices. Also amazon loves to poach employees. It would be insanely easy for anyone from DC, New York, Pittsburgh and Boston to move here and they would love to do it. The cost of living is insane for what you get, they just need the job to move here. And if they buy their own tower they'd make out ten fold. Philly is already booming, once the lots for towers are up then the prices will skyrocket..
What other cities offer truly cosmopolitan lifestyles? Houston TX, Dallas TX, Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ, Miami FL, Boston MA, Chicago IL, Los Angeles CA, San Diego CA, Denver CO, Charlotte NC, Toronto Canada....

Philadelphians like most city residents have a bias towards their city because it's their home, but when you break it down we live in a country with an unbelievably large and diverse selection of urban settings, and competition is fierce. My money is on Boston or Austin. I don't see a real draw for Amazon in Philly, or Delaware or Pennsylvania for that matter, and I'm a local to the region and love my home, but realistically we cannot compete with what Austin or Boston or San Fran has to offer a tech company. Austin has high tech turnout, is a huge tech base already so there's plenty of talent to draw from, no city of state income tax (Philly has a state income and city income tax), relatively low cost of living, mild winters, a decent international airport, and already has Whole Foods which was recently acquired by Amazon...... and there is no East Coast city which can come close to Boston for tech talent, trade offs are brutal winters and high cost of living, however it would give them a presence on both coasts of the U.S.... my money is on Austin.