Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Stoney isn't a proposed freeway. It's already a given.
The SWCRR is very much a proposed freeway.

Quote:
In any case, Stoney Trail is technically a bypass of the city. I'd call it a highway, more than a city freeway. But it will soon become a city freeway no doubt. But man, that's not always a bad thing. We need to be able to transport goods. Roads aren't evil, they're just transportation corridors.
Freeway, Highway, Bypass. Call it what you like, it's the same road. (Though I believe the road standard is called a 'Freeway' and that the Transportation Association of Canada does not have a classification of 'Bypass' or 'Highway').

I don't think people here think of transportation corridors as 'Evil'. I certainly don't. I think we need a healthy road network. And i think that eliminating bottlenecks in roads like Crowchild would probably be a really good idea. My problems start when large sums of money get spent on projects that ultimately end up right where they started, or end up increasing issues, especially when that money might have been better spent on other solutions that might have better long-term benefits.

I am not sure HOV lanes on Crowchild are what that roads need either, but doing a study, gathering feedback and maybe even starting a pilot project are all good things for this city (IMO).

Quote:
Upgrading small sections of our main roadways to freeway standards is not the same thing as proposing a new freeway through the middle of the city. And anyway, I don't know of 1 road in Calgary slated to become a freeway except Stoney. Do you? Heck, I don't even know of any city roads being upgraded at all except related to LRT or Stoney construction (and that silly expensive hole at the airport). Do you?
You're right. I meant limited-access expressways, and the capacity and interchange upgrades that add expressway-like features to city roads, like the GE5, Glenmore, Crowchild, Sarcee, etc.

Quote:
It may be a "well understood phenomena" that on some roads the demand increases as new capacity is added. But you can't broadly paint an entire city and every single road with that brush. If you did then eliminating all main roads would fix road congestion. Surely you wouldn't agree with that?

Perhaps cite an example of that phenomena in Alberta? I suspect you can't because our population hasn't reached the level where this occurs.
ByeByeBaby covered an example very well. There is no evidence (That I know of) to suggest that Alberta is immune from these effects.

Quote:
I've driven on many main roads in Calgary that are exceptions to this congestion rule. The old Sarcee Trail up the hill from 16th to Bow has been double divided for 50 years and it hasn't needed one upgrade or sucked cars into a congested mess. It was built properly a long time ago and has served the city well.
I think you're right. The capacity designed in the 1960s exceeded the demand for the road. Then again, it was also part of the 1950s/1960s Ring Road system that was never fully implemented. It was planned to continue up through Bowness and connect with Sarcee in the north. (As well as connecting to Shaganappi over the river via Edworthy park) so it's fair to say that the expected use and intended volumes were never fully realised.

As others have said, I think that its a good thing when people get involved and start to think and talk about transit issues. It affects us all. I also think that planners should be allowed to explore any and all ideas, because that is how we get better at doing things, including planning and implementing transit solutions.