View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Okay....
Couple things :
I'm not sure if this was mentioned much earlier in the thread but if it was , sorry , I'll reiterate it anyway. This tower isn't actually going up in Tianjin proper but a satellite city on the coast called Tangu. They're basically trying to take over from Tianjin as the dominant center of the region. It's called Bin Hai Xin Qu (Bin Hai New District) if I understood it properly (and my Chinese is only so-so therefore I could have that slightly wrong)

As for the tower itself .... classic story : It's approved , it's done , it's.....waiting for financing. According to those I spoke with , there's not much there but an empty plot waiting for development. Something about the developer having government "issues" which could mean just about anything. No cash for this thing right now though. Somebody will probably buy out the original developer and continue along with it but as it's in Tangu and I didn't realize it at the time I was there , I didn't actually visit the site itself. Sorry for that guys.

Incidentally , I've also been looking for the Sino-Steel Tower site (the big tall white box) but I'm not sure where it is either. If it's in Tianjin city proper , I'll head there and snap some pics. If it's in Tangu , with any luck I'll see it from the train. Otherwise I don't see any sign of it and nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. They're not skyscraper geeks like us though so I wouldn't expect them to know much about it.
Edit : Sorry , it's the Kerry Center I'm talking about. Drove by it tonight and didn't see much happening. Nothing poking up above the billboards anyway.
Incorrect, its in Huayuan, southwest of Tianjin city center. Sino-Steel is in Tanggu though, and the Kerry Center is in Tianjin city center (currently in foundation stage). Basically the Binhai New Area is designed to help spur Tianjin's economic growth with a huge industrial park and dozens of skyscrapers (Tanggu itself will never surpass Tianjin), but so far its mostly talk and a little action. May I ask who did you talk to? Not saying that your info is incorrect, but reliable information on this is hard to come by (even more so now that bohaibbs is blocked to those outside China)