View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 1:22 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
along w/ the jackson apts density, you have a fairly significant the first development of the crescent bluff apts, located in the same general area. in addition to those, there is an approved project at crump and tn?, the community bordering crump, which is part of the hope grant. the master plan for memphis, which i reviewed yesterday, has the entire south main and heritage development planned. the area includes a green grocer and other retail covering approximately 3.7 acres. the old mental health hospital will be developed for apts for the elderly or independent living. the point is, however, that the development is geared for the black community. it is hoped that the loraine hotel, soulsville, stax museum, beale street, and the forum will generate a good deal of street traffic. it seems that there is a plan for approximately 78,000 sq ft of retail space. two other attractions, which i inadvertently left out, are clayborn temple and the chisca hotel. the aim, again, is to frame the entire district as a historic district, which showcases the contributions of blacks to memphis through music, politics, leadership, and the civil rights history of the 1960's.
South Main has done a good job as marketing itself as somewhat of an arts district, which is good, but I think a push toward marketing the area around the Lorraine Motel as an African American heritage district is a strong idea. The history that is present in that area with Beale and the National Civil Rights Museum is something that I think has much more potential than it currently shows. I wouldn't mind seeing a small blues museum as well.