View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
South Main has done a good job as marketing itself as somewhat of an arts district, which is good, but I think a push toward marketing the area around the Lorraine Motel as an African American heritage district is a strong idea. The history that is present in that area with Beale and the National Civil Rights Museum is something that I think has much more potential than it currently shows. I wouldn't mind seeing a small blues museum as well.
The old historic district south of FedExForum is an eye sore with blight. Why the city has allowed that to deteriorate like it has is beyond me. That would be a great location to build a new convention center and develop an entertainment complex around it like what Gibson Guitar Factory was once planning for that area (as seen below). Maybe place the future Memphis Music Hall Of Fame Museum there, too. They could also include a separate Blues Museum as mentioned in your post. Some great possibilities for that part of downtown. Memphis needs to start taking more advantage of the Elvis tourism. This would be a great way to do that.