View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That is one of the saddest videos I've ever seen. I'm guessing he's a network manager who saw some Youtube videos about Ibiza and decided he wanted to be a DJ. So now he twiddles with his knobs in an empty park, feelin' the groove.

This could easily be a snippet in the sequel My Winnipeg: The Lonely Guy in 2012. That is, if Guy Maddin were able to film an interesting storyline with plausibly human characters instead of the usual discordant pastiches in his interminable homages to silent films.

It's a long way from Ibiza. Or even Montreal.

If you wanted a quick primer on some superficial differences between Winnipeg and Montreal, well, you could do worse than these two videos. It may not be fair comparing an amateur video with a professionally done promo (and I'm not personally into that kind of scene in Montreal myself), but crikey, talk about a bleak contrast!
That's not entirely fair. There are plenty of dudes playing in parks/beneath underpasses/my kitchen in Montreal too but nobody posts videos of them.

The guys who created Piknic (and Igloofest ) began about 15 years ago with a couple of turntables and a few BYOB friends, much like dude in Winnipeg. Some of the veterans still lament the passing of those easy going days (they're no longer allowed to both sell and allow BYOB since 2013). So you party in the park for a bit then drop your empties at the entrance to Piknic and.. enjoy!

Kudos to the guy in Winnipeg. He's having fun and even if there are only 10 friends there, that's 11 people who are having fun who wouldn't have been otherwise!