View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
The city's parks department is very conservative in what it plants in parks and city streets, many are the usual suspects found everywhere in Ontario and the US Midwest.

I would love the city to start planting more southern species that actually do well here without any protection, like evergreen Southern Magnolia, ( there is only one specimen i know of in Jackson Park, and it's about 20 ft tall) and the Hardy Silk tree ( which was planted on an island bed on Giles Blvd ) but nowhere else I know of on city property. I had two huge specimens when I lived in Lasalle. Acuba Japonica also does well here. Southern Flowering Dogwood ( Cornus Florida) is actually native to this part of Ontario, and should be planted more by the city. Southern Crape Myrtles can also grow well here.

The city could even plant some marginally hardy species here like Needle and Windmill Palms, and only give them minimal protection when temps get really cold on occasion.

With our climate warming more now than ever, these plants should be considered when designing new plantings, as they are more likely to thrive now than back when it was a bit colder.
I agreed with you The Parks Department is very conservative but it's got to start from somewhere !

Windsor is the one of the warmest regions West of the Rockies, the other being The Niagara area including St Catharines, Niagara Falls.

It's a 7a hardiness zone.

I would suggest the following:
(1) Windsor residents talk to their city councillors.
(2) Believe me, if no one initiates the whole process, the Parks Department will do nothing about it.

Also, if no city councillors initiate the process, do you think the Parks Department would initiate the process themselves ?

The Parks Department will have lots of excuses not to do it though !