View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you really think that was a key issue that led to the PQ's downfall? For some people, it probably changed their vote. But many were probably indifferent either way, and I bet some people were - and still are - in favour of the idea behind the Charte, but were turned off by how disastrously and awkwardly the PQ handled the issue and could no longer trust them to form a government as a result.

Right now the three main parties in Quebec representing (off the top of my head) 80-85% of voting intentions all support a ban on face veils to some degree. They do differ on the details of how this should be addressed.

The CAQ who are favoured to form the next government are pretty strong with the identity politics card, moreso than any party would dare to be in Anglo-Canada, but of course they're nothing like what you see in some European countries.
There are always multiple factors to explain the defeat of a party at an election. In this case, i do think the charter was a big contributor. Even the present chief of the party, Jean-François Lisée, said so himself.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Aug 1, 2018 at 9:08 PM.