View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 3:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Montreal seemed to me like it represents multiculturalism better than Toronto, maybe because of the language thing. .
I used to think this too - that the jostling between French and English, mixed in with people all over the world, gave Montreal an edge while Toronto, though even more extremely diverse, was still too anglo-normative and that that kind of smoothed out the differences and made things more conventional.

I don't think that's the case anymore (if it ever was) and Toronto is definitely the multiculturalism poster child today. The global multicultulturalist trend is often anglo-normative to begin with, and the fact that European movies occasionally occupy the top rungs of the box office in Montreal or that pop music that's not in English or French regularly "charts" on the radio here doesn't carry much weight these days. Nobody gives a shit about that stuff any more, and you even look a bit silly if you bring it up.

Montreal's brand of globalization - which was a real thing at one point - is of another era and is today "passé".

That doesn't make it a less interesting city, though.