View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

So, here's the first of some maps I plan on making to examine the Census numbers for Alabama:

This is one I call County Dynamics.

Obviously, the darker counties are the most dynamic. I used a classification of Natural Breaks. I didn't feel like making a legend, because A) It would take too long and B) It's almost pointless.

This map is intended to show how dynamic a county is, based on the percent increase of cities inside the county. I basically went through the spreadsheet of cities and found all of the cities with a 40% increase or more (I also included CDPs).

How is this relevant? Basically, looking at cities that were, in the 2000 Census, rather small and then seeing how they have grown since then allows us to see whether the county is monotonous (experiencing drastic growth ONLY in a single city) or if it is dynamic (experiencing drastic growth in multiple cities or a GREAT amount of growth in a city that isn't the primary municipality).

As for how this can be used, I really think you can make a few inferences as far as what we can expect from the county in the future. Obviously, things are going to change, and change constantly, but based on the decade between 2000 and 2010, we can look and see where we can expect the most explosive growth based on what we've seen in the past.

Montgomery got it's massive increase from Pike Road, which increased by 1600%... yea.... This could indicate that we'll be seeing some sprawl outside of Montgomery in the future.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State