View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 7:53 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I know that a lot of us don't see eye-to-eye on politics in Alabama, but I'm interested in gathering your opinions on this.

When I get on Facebook, especially during this particular election cycle, I see a lot of comments that are both constructive and destructive. A majority of these things I see are destructive.

If you'll look at the picture I posted, I would like to kind of get a feel for how everyone feels about how things are going. The name that isn't completely blanked out is me; you're welcome to criticize. But what I really want to discuss is how we go forward in a state of politics that is fundamentally disruptive. It's necessarily that we don't agree anymore, it's that we are seriously and fundamentally against eachother.

We no longer meet with one another to discuss how we can come together and move forward. We no longer try to come to any consensus. We thought that the Republican/Democrat relationship was stressed under the Bob Riley administration, but things are now more tense than ever. The way I look at it, great things happen under Bob Riley, but many look at that period of time as.... forgettable.

I guess I just don't understand things anymore. When I was in school (and hopefully I'll be back in August) people disagreed, but were able to compromise. Meanwhile, "adults" were constantly fighting and providing an example for people in their 20s that was less than prime. I can't help but be pessimistic.

So, where do we go? We have a huge constituency that is, rightfully so, frustrated with how things are working out in both the state and federal levels. I constantly see people commenting on how their representative are acting, without actually knowing what they are talking about. It makes me exceedingly frustrated to see comments like the one in the picture I posted. People become so obsessed with defeating bigots, or those that oppose proper progress, that they become enveloped in rhetoric that does nothing but advance the will of those which they seek to defeat.

Our economy has been improving, rapidly, lately but can it be sustained with the current political tumult?

I've asked a lot of question, but I hope that ALL of us can weigh in, in a respectful way; because I'm really pessimistic as of now, and I don't think that I'm alone...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State