View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encolpius View Post
I think he meant that Franklin and Jefferson, our first two ambassadors to France, began a tradition among the diplomatic corps of living well in Paris en profitant de ses charmes.

Btw, the old London embassy was in Grosvenor Square, Mayfair, probably the poshest address in London. I think moving to Nine Elms is a bit of a step down for our spooks, but maybe it'll be a lovely place after all once all the construction dust's settled.
I wouldn't say the poshest, but yes it's a very nice part of town. Nine Elms on the other hand is barely even London; it's like moving to Jersey City.

So yes, it's a step down for the staff. But remember that the ambassador's residence remains Winfield House in Regent's Park:

That is also where dinners and state functions are held. The move does make his commute to the office take longer, however.

And it's also a much bigger pain to get to for any American citizens who actually need to visit the embassy for something like visa services (fortunately, I've never had to).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov