View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:35 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Brought over from the SLC development Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASDEN View Post
I agree it would be nearly impossible to go back now. But I'd be willing to sacrifice Central Station for improved efficiency of the system as a whole. I guess I equate better efficiency with shorter commute times with increased ridership(which is the ultimate goal). And its true, should a transfer station at North Temple be built, almost no one would get off at Central Station. I understand your wanting to protect the millions of public dollars that have already been pumped into the Central Station location, but that money was spent with the purpose of serving the public. And if a transfer station at North Temple serves the public better, than so be it.
While a transfer station at N. Temple would shorten the commute from the north by a couple of minutes, but if that were the only station, it would lengthen the commute from the south by just a bit. One other problem I see is that under the viaduct doesn't seem like a very vibrant location for a Central Hub. The beauty of the location of Central Station is that there is plenty of redevelopment opportunity directly surrounding the station. It's an opportunity to extend the downtown core further west.