View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Assuming your assumptions are correct (which I'm not sold on) you are forgetting that some trips will actually be shorter with the viaducts torn down. I know for me having Georgia street connect directly with Pacific would provide a more direct route than what I have to do now.

It may not balance out the added delay you are talking about. I just want to be clear it's not a clear negative for vehicle commuters. The post viaducts road network favours connectivity and redundancy vs pure speed.
my assumption of 3 mins 1 way comes right from the City of Vancouver itself. and knowing them, it will actually be longer then 3mins based on their previous history with traffic management.

do you really think that more direct route will take less time? I'm leery about that since there will be something like 6 new traffic lights.

then there is all the possible conflict zones. right now if you want to cross pacific, it is 4 lanes, 3 of traffic since 1 is only for parking. they want to make it 8-10 lanes. people talk about how the viaducts cut off communities. well right now the viaducts keep the majority and the heavy traffic away from people and bikes. if they come down, all those cars and trucks will be next to the bikes and pedestrians. which means more exhaust fumes for people to breath in. the majority of accidents come because of speed differentials. and they are creating many more opportunities for that.

if the city truly cared, they'd connect the viaducts to the Canada 1 through the Grandview Cut and then use traffic calming through Strathcona and funnel everyone into the cut.

then there is the terrible waste of 200 million dollars for structures they have 40 years left on their life. funny, viaducts, good for 40yrs, Massey Tunnel, past its useful life yet lets keep the tunnel and get rid of the viaducts. some weird ass priorities in this place.

the viaducts coming down, you people really think that will fix the DTES?