View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Funny you say that because I actually like his work and admire much of his writings....not everything, but a good portion of it to say I like his theories.

hudkina, maybe there is something in this idea of creating a smaller Detroit with a reclaimed forest belt around the city, then having the outer ring of Detroit broken up into individual cities.

I am guessing that would help reduce the strain on the city with the large sections of the city that is currently creating much of the problems there.
This would not work for two reasons:

First, the most stable and wealthiest neighborhoods of the city are closer to the periphery of the city. Breaking the city up would compound the problem because you would separate the neighborhoods that need the most help from the tax base. (When you hear stories in the media about Detroit not having any chain grocers in the city, this is why. The chains have figured out that if they build right outside of the city limits then they can save on taxes, insurance and construction costs, but still be patronized by city residents.)

Second, municipal budgets all across Metro Detroit are under strain in part because they are wasting so much money providing redundant services instead of resource sharing. Breaking up the central city into more communities would only compound this problem too.