View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
For the article as a while, are they referring to city limits only?
I think it's pretty clear that the article is only about the city.

Quote:
Again, conflating the city and metropolitan area. Assuming the stat is true it applies to city limits only, which is less than 20% of the metro area (and maybe 2% of the professional classes).
That's still pretty bad for a city of Detroit's size.

Quote:
And the more recent American boomtowns, places like Austin, Raleigh-Durham, and Orlando, don't have municipal divisions?

How is the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary-Who Knows What Else region less fragmented than Metro Detroit? What proportion of metro Orlando actually lives in, works in, or has anything to do with, the City of Orlando?
I may be mistaken, but perhaps the author is also talking about class divisions as well. Certainly there are divisions in the NC Triangle area, but those stark class/racial divisions do not exist there at all. I suppose Durham would be the "Detroit" of that region as it has the highest Black population and has the most crime, but there's still no comparing it with the Detroit region in that regard.

I'm not arguing in favor of this article overall (although it seems to make some good points), but I just wanted to respond to those points in particular.