View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I could be wrong, but I don't believe this intriguing photograph has been posted on NLA. ( partially because it's mislabeled in the USC archive)

"View of Sunset Boulevard from the roof of the Chamber of Commerce building, [s.d.]"

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/21455/rec/3

"At center, a large street spans from left to right, annexed by smaller streets or alleys in the foreground, at perpendicular angles.
Farther in the distance, the tallest building in the view can be seen, topped by a small rotunda.; Legible signs from left to right include:
"Beverly Hotel", "S.G. Steppers", "Prince Albert", "Safeway Tire Stores", "Caterpillar Tires", "Elzee Motor Co. Used Cars", "Iris Apartments",
"California Fireproof Storage Company", and "Moss Photographer"."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

Hey, nice work e_r! I'm sure the folks at USCDL would appreciate the correction.

The tall building just to the right of center in your photo is the California Hospital at 1414 S. Hope Street.

The hospital building (town down in 2000) and the tall building to its left in your photo, Patriotic Hall,
both opened in 1926. I can't identify the tall building to the right of the hospital.
I think "the tall building to the right of the hospital" is/was the California Medical Building at 1401 S Hope Street, seen here in 1961.

USC Digital Library

The building is still there, now repurposed as Villa De La Esperanza, an assisted living facility.

GSV

Has anyone contacted USC to correct the original caption?