View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:00 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Met any black people--well for most of my working life, in the East Bay, I worked with dozens of them. "The Bay" for people of every race in my aquaintance is, well, the Bay (the body of water) or sometimes short for "the Bay Area", but never meaning just the city of San Francisco. I can see "the Town" possibly referring to Oakland among Oaklanders when in Oakland, which is often called "Oaktown" around "the Bay", but if you referred to "the Town" talking to somebody in San Francisco they'd almost certainly ask you, "Which town?"

I've seen those jerseys--for a couple of bucks at Walgreen's. Wasn't sure if they were authorized by the team. But, of course, they currently play in Oakland and, again, "the Town" may be something used in Oakland by Oaklanders but it isn't used in San Francisco and certainly not FOR San Francisco. When the team moves, we'll see what happens to those jerseys. Interestingly, while "The City" is frequently used in San Francisco, I lately get the sense there's an increasing resentment at the term in the rest of the Bay Area among those who think it suggests anything outside the city is hicksville.

I agree about NorCal. I use it all the time. So does everyone I know.

But here's another one: 4 decades ago when I was driving cross country and CB radio was a "thing", San Francisco was often called "the gay Bay" on CB. I'm not sure if the locals, of which I was not yet one, would have approved.
Maybe the over 70 crowd.
No way, I'm not even half 70, born and raised in SF, went away for school, back for years now. And I've never heard anyone say "The Town" in normal speech to describe Oakland, not even once. Maybe it's a music or sports thing, maybe it's a black thing, maybe it's an Oakland thing, but it's not a California or even Bay Area thing, I can guarantee you.