New Yorker for life

Another opinion...not likely though.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/op-ed/...-redeem-amazon

Trade Center site can redeem Amazon
Queens campus is lost, but there's a feel-good alternative in Lower Manhattan

Michael Burke
Februar 26, 2019

Quote:
At about the same time Amazon was bailing out on Long Island City, developer Larry Silverstein announced he might build 2 World Trade Center without an anchor tenant signed.

Call me naive, but I see an opportunity here. Maybe Amazon and Silverstein should talk. It might be a marriage made in heaven. Literally.

My brother Billy, Captain of Engine Co. 21, gave his life at Trade Center on September 11. When the design for 2 WTC was introduced, I contacted Bjarke Ingels, the architect, to tell him that it invoked the heroic stair climb of the firefighters, 9/11.

To his credit he wholeheartedly embraced the image, mentioning it in TV interviews.
Quote:
On September 11, Billy managed to secure the safe evacuation of all of his men and the civilians they reached. He stayed to assist Ed Beyea and Abe Zelmanowitz, co-workers at Empire Blue Cross. Ed was a quadriplegic trapped in his mechanized wheelchair in a tower with no working elevators. Abe was his friend, who would not leave without him.

Only minutes before 1 WTC collapsed, they telephoned out to let family know they were still alive. Billy called a friend, who begged him to stay safe. “This is my job,” he told her. “This is what I do.”
Quote:
If Amazon headquartered at 2 WTC, that’s the spirit it could be part of.

It’s a shame that Queens will lose Amazon and all the economic benefits that would’ve come with it. However, with a little imagination and work they can still make a home in New York City. I know Captain Billy Burke, a native New Yorker, would’ve been a great supporter of that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.