View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2015, 8:02 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
The issue isn't that we're adding density; the issue is we aren't adding enough. The nuance might be above your current hysterics.
You say these things again and again, but you never cite anything specific. What specifically do you want and where specifically do you want it?

"WE" don't add density. Population density occurs when people move here or, to a lesser extent, when people have children at a faster rate than family elders pass away.

You've spoken about "putting them" someplace. It doesn't work that way. Newcomers decide for themselves where to live, just as you did when you moved here.

You've spoken about density driving down prices. It doesn't work that way. Demand drives density. Those are your own words, and they're correct. But demand also drives up prices.

Overbuilding - creating a supply of housing that exceeds demand - that's what would drive down prices, but I really hope it's not what you're proposing as a solution for the rising cost of housing.

I'm guessing that you moved here somewhat recently, perhaps during the recession. That would explain why you don't see how rapidly Portland is becoming more dense. I used to take the MAX out to Hillsboro a decade ago. Even with the recession, the number of new homes built over the past decade has been dramatic. That's a real life example of rapidly increasing population density. Or, consider NW Portland. Look at how many units of housing Conway alone is going to add. Or look at the Pearl. As I said, consider the population of the Pearl District in 1995. Compare that to its population in 2005, and 2015, and it's still growing. Or look at Lloyd, where a developer just announced plans to add nearly a thousand more units. Or look at inner SE. I'm an inner city guy, but I'm sure others here could talk about places like Gateway, and NE and NOPO.

You say these things again and again, but you never cite anything specific. What specifically do you want and where specifically do you want it?