View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
A few of things to notice:

25 million basically gets a Dell Diamond
naming rights would not pay for more than 10%
San Antonio attendance is just about the lowest in the state.
I imagine the numbers for UTSA baseball are also pretty low.
I think that the reason for the low attendance has to do with being in the Texas League AA. SA, a city of over 2 million and we get the "excitement" of competing against Midland, Frisco, NW Arkansas, wherever that may be, Springfield, uhh,,, Missouri, or is it Illinois or Arkansas, or Alabama. I have no idea where some of these big "metro" cities are. I think playing against well known cities would have bigger interest. I think cities like New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, etc will be bigger draws than NW Arkansas. Tell you what.... Get SA into the Mexican League and they will draw pretty big against cities like Monterrey, Mexico City, Vera Cruz. They used to draw pretty big many years ago when the Texas League teamed up with the Mexican League. Of course most of the crowds will probably be rooting for the Mexican Cities, but there will be large crowds, I guarantee.

There was talk some years ago of SA moving to AAA but didn't have a large enough stadium. I remember long ago, more than some of you can remember, the old Texas League, with the Dallas Eagles, Ft. Worth Cats, Houston Buffs, Shreveport Sports, Tulsa Oilers, Oklahoma City Indians. Dallas, Ft Worth and Houston moved up to AAA one year and left SA behind has it has been behind ever since.

Of course SA is always used as a bait to have Major League cities built a stadium for their city or they will move here, but I seriously doubt those owners ever have an intent to move here and do it just to tease SA and get what they want in their cities.