View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 5:43 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
For those being critical of this builder or that builder, this is a line of thought that is flawed in many ways as the builder often has no control of how a building is built or often even the materials being used. The architects and design people control most of this, they can and will dictate that materials used, the design to be used, where the materials are to be sourced from,etc, etc and the builder just has to put it all together. I've seen some incredible stuff at the site I've been working in for over 7 months and none of it would be the builder's mistakes - it was the owners and the architects and their initial direction and incredulous changes along the way. But all people will remember is the builder's name and point fingers there - people do not know any different and can't be faulted for that but the real story is often quite a bit different then most realize. Case in point, at the site where i'm working, some walls are now seeing their 8th and 9th coats of paint - all due to the architect and designers changing their minds on color choices yet some would tag this as the builder screwing up.
Who changes paint colours after the paint has been applied???? That is insane.

When I was in development management, I had an easy answer to these kind of requests: TFL (too f***ing late). It came from everywhere: interior designer, salespeople, realtors, subtrades, purchasers, etc. Unless it is an actual error in design, or a change that a subtrade points out that makes no sense and can save money and time, it was a no.

"We should change the striker plate design"- Nope, they're ordered already -TFL
"We should have gone with different floor transitions"- Nope, TFL, ordered already.
"Can I change the wall in my bedroom closet" - Nope TFL, building is framed.
"These light switches should be reversed"- Nope, TFL.
"Can we add a deck?"- Seriously? We're past drywall stage. No, TFL.
"We would like to change the cabinet layout." - No, cabinets were ordered two weeks ago. TFL