View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Yeah, the Vedder Canal Bridge is a sub-standard relic from yesteryear and was constructed as part of the Chilliwack Bypass from there eastward circa 1959, prior to the construction of the remaining then Hwy "401" in the west.

Narrow lanes and poor sight-lines, with its vertical curve (as well as the horizontal curve leading up to it), have contributed to many accidents over the years on the Vedder Canal Bridge - no room for driver error. Heading WB on a Monday long-weekend, I've experienced going from 120 km/hr and then coming to a screeching halt just before or on the bridge deck itself on several occasions due to the inferior sight-lines. Surprised that more accidents haven't happened at that locale. That said, until Hwy 1 is 6-laned to Chilliwack, we are stuck with it.

Perhaps cautionary "Poor Visibility" advance warning signs could be put into place during the interim.

Another angle from last night's incident:

Source: http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome
What I don't get is the fact that the alignment just west of the bridge was only put into place approximately 10-12 years ago when that segment was realigned to upgrade it to a full limited-access freeway. Previously, the WB lanes continued straight on before turning towards the south to create a large median between the WB lanes and EB lanes with houses and hobby farms within the "median"

My biggest concern with that bridge actually is travelling EB with the tight turn directly in approach to the bridge, along with the limited visibility looking over the bridge. I've had a few close calls there (I drive it daily) and it just needs a few things:

1) widen the bridge to accommodate proper shoulders at least on the right side.
2) Realign the curve directly west of the bridge so it isn't so harsh.
3) re-grade apporaches so better visiblity on and across the bridge is possible.

Streetview doesn't help illustrate this, mainly because the camera is mounted high above the vehicle - likely a good 5-10 feet above the driver's view (from a car)