View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:24 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post
There is no context for such buildings here. A single low-rise building in a certain style does not suffice.

For Stern, the context for his Manhattan apartment towers are the pre-war New York apartment homes.

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RA1tkVlFQ
"There is no context for such buildings here"

The grandfather of LAs skyline, City Hall literally across the street, is giving you a mean side eye right now lol. Hell half of the civic center and most of the Broadway corridor would disagree. Take away the height and these types of buildings can be seen all over LA from Long Beach to Santa Monica and they actually look pretty cool sitting next to palm trees.

This ideology is what got LA stuck in architectural limbo in the first place. "IT doesn't fit in LA, there's no context for it". I'm guilty of this as well. People complain about the uniformity of LAs skyline where bunker hill is stuck in the 80s-90s while South Park has turned into glass boxes covered in billboards.

"Ugh we are tired of the glass boxes" yet, when something different gets proposed, we all grab a pitchfork.

But I agree with Colemonkee. Onni cant be trusted with stuff like this since they've even started to value engineer their Vancouver transplants. But since LA is severely lacking high-rises from every decade pre 80s, a little diversity wont hurt. Will only enhance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Ugghh...no. They were heinously proportioned and poorly designed in 2006 and they haven’t gotten any better. I have no problem with Shop or RAMSA, Pelli or others being contextual, but these awful things were always vile and absolutely don’t belong in downtown LA.
So what exactly is your beef with them ? yeah they scream faux Palmer but that's why I said a "more modern spin to them" and "doesn't have to be identical or as tall but defined windows would be nice". Yeah, Onni cant be trusted with anything that's neighboring Art Deco but something similar to these next to the times building would be nice. But I agree. RAMSA would do a project like this justice.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 11, 2018 at 8:57 AM.