View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 10:09 PM

New Tower Location

I posted here a few days ago to express my dismay at the seemingly majority approval of this new Comcast Tower, but also clearly mentioning my ignorance in regards to the technicalities essential in approving, planning, and constructing a skyscraper. However, as an aesthetic argument I am still vehemently against this site for all the reasons i stated in my first postings.

But to reiterate: 1) The current proposed location seems to create a twin tower effect which in my opinion ultimately ends up making both towers look bulky. They also seem to accentuate the smaller twin buildings to their right which again makes the over all effect uninspiring. In my opinion, they almost resemble the top third of the late WTC towers in New York; in some ways it just makes both towers look shorter.

2) The location of the new tower makes what I call 'the pyramid effect'. This 'pyramid effect' does nothing to differentiate itself from other second tier skylines, or even itself; more importantly, it does nothing to distinguish itself as a city ready to be a global player. This clustering to me is still indicative of a mid tier city mentality which seeks to minimize its presence as opposed to maximizing it.

4) On the other hand, positioning this tower at another location could actually act as a hub for new development as in the University city area. This tower could be used to develop a whole technology subsection of the city-think University City, Centre City, and Tech City- all distinct corridors. Phillys small city planning mentally, vision, and business practices has kept the progress of this city moving at a snails pace- including thwarting a Trump Tower, Foxwoods, WTC, Commerce center, Disney land, Will Smith projects, Columbus blvd and any other project which would have attracted a global presence. The next generation of city planners hopefully will think more globally, and stop trying to keep the world out of this city.

In my first postings I spoke without the aid of visual renderings of how I see the optimal visual positioning of this tower. Below I have added the tower at long and short range proximity to the other skyscrapers. Thanks.