View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Another great photograph SCharles!

I came across a 1920s Santa Monica snapshot of a young man (lifeguard perhaps) on the beach with C C on his beach attire.
I wonder if that might have stood for Crescent Bay Yacht Club (you couldn't very well fit the whole name on a lifeguard swimsuit)

The problem is...I found the pic while I was visiting my Mom and it's on my laptop I keep at her house.
__
Thanks, ER - I’m really glad you like the photo!

I’m no expert sleuth like the rest of you folks here, but after I posted that photo the other day, I decided to try my best to find out ANYTHING about the Crescent Bay Yacht Club (I mean, Google literally has NOTHING on it).

Eventually, I discovered the Santa Monica Image Archive, a website with a photo interface identical to the Huntington site.

Sadly, there weren’t any photo matches, but there were a number of newspaper pages. According to the articles I found, the club opened on January 31st, 1925. They opened at a “temporary clubhouse” location just below the so-called “99 steps” at the juncture of Arizona Ave and Ocean Front Walk, with the permanent location ending up a block north at the juncture of Wilshire Blvd and Ocean Front Walk (as noted previously by HossC).

_LINK

I’ll go to Mount Lowe for $2.50!

I also found that the Crescent Bay Yacht Club was just south of the Gables Beach Club:

_LINK

Why is is so easy to find pictures of the Gables Beach Club, but perfectly impossible to find even a single photo of the Crescent Bay Yacht Club???

Speaking of young men in beach attire, look what I found here, ER:

_LINK

I want that shirt!