View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
You obviously don't get around this city very much. That area is already built up and probably has more concentrated commercial activity than any other part of the city. A couple of years ago the city put a halt to issuing anymore commercial permits in that area. They don't need another grocery store in the area either, there's a huge Fortino's within walking distance.

In order to build this developement they will be demolishing a number homes that have been there for 50 or 60 years. This is not a sprawl developement. If anything it's infill. All of the chains are already located in the area. It is also one of the busiest intersections in the city. I hate driving in that area anytime during daylight hours.
I know the area quite well, actually, and I can't imagine many people walking the kilometer that would be required to get to that Fortino's - along a pedestrian-hostile route like this, anyways. In fact, I'd say you'd be crazy to do so if you had the money to drive - which of course anyone who buys in this building would.

I think it's fair to say we have different perspectives on sprawl v. infill. Regardless of what you call it, I know from personal experience that it's a pretty miserable area for a pedestrian.