View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2012, 9:45 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno333 View Post
I just do not buy the ideal that the antenna for the WTC 1 is part of the structure....The Willis Tower is clearly taller when not considering antennas as it should be for all buildings IMHO.
I agree here and I have always maintained that IMO roof height is the most important determining factor in buildings height followed by highest occupied floor.

That being said if you are going to count spires and not antennas you should at least be consistent. I don't see how the WTC1 is both an antenna and a spire, it is either one or the other and I hope the CTBUH looks into this impartially. It seems that many are just accepting the 1,776 foot height out of emotional sentiment over 9/11 and if you question it you are somehow being insensitive to the victims. I am thrilled that the new WTC is going up but I think we have to admit that this antenna/spire thingy is a serious grey area that needs to be discussed. I am glad that some media outlets are starting to point this out.

Also I think even if the antenna/spire is counted as official height in the end the CTBUH should also grant the antenna mounts on the Sears Tower as part of the height making it 1,515 or some odd feet, sure that wouldn't maintain the official height record for Chicago but at least it will be fair. I just don't see how one can say the Antenna/Spire on WTC counts and the antenna mounts on Sears don't.