View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
To be honest, I feel the same way about our own streetcars sometimes. Of the people riding the St. Charles or Riverfront lines, how many are tourists and how many are actually locals who use the streetcar to get to work? The Canal line is really the only one that serves locals to any great extent.

I continue my one-man quest to get NORTA to consider modern streetcars for the new lines. Just because most American cities operate crappy, unpleasant buses doesn't mean that all modern designs are crappy. A modern low-floor streetcar is far more comfortable to board or to stand up in than any of New Orleans' historic cars, and they are accessible for handicapped and elderly people.
We really could use some modern streetcar lines in New Orleans. When I was in Europe visiting my brother in Montpellier, France, we used their brand new trams to get everywhere. These were so comfortable and had multiple entrances so there was no waiting time to get on the tram. Also, there were designated stops with ticket machines and digital signs with estimated arrival times. It was very professional and the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about how Nola could use this. I wouldn't want to see it on Saint Charles per se, but any new line could definitely use it. Canal would also do well with the new modern way of running streetcars.