View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2011, 3:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like the logo

It will be interesting to see how a proposed franchise in Moncton would fare....

The #1 sport in the city is hockey (Wildcats, Commandos, Aigles Bleues). Football is also very popular (six high school teams & Mt. A just down the road, with the odd CFL game thrown in for variety).

Baseball is represented by the Moncton Mets and the Hub City Brewers of the NBSBL. The Mets can usually get about 1,200 or so out to home games (and it's a good atmosphere too).

Basketball is more of an unknown quantity, although there is a very active minor basketball program in the city with hundreds of players taking part(including all three of my sons at various points in time). All the high schools in the city have teams as do all three universities (AUS - U de M; and ACAA - Mt. A and Crandall).

Given all of this, there is the potential basis for a good level of support. The spectator interest however is more of an unknown quantity. The Mill Rats have done so well, that I have every reason to believe that a Moncton team would also succeed, especially with the natural rivalry with both SJ and Halifax.

I know the city is very interested in expediting a franchise. I imagine the hold-up is in forming an ownership group. It will be interesting to see what transpires.