View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:07 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Purple Line = North Shore Line
-Line Running from SW marine up Knight St, hitting the Commercial Dr Transit hub, then crossing the Burrard inlet, where it narrows, to the North shore. Once on the North shore it will branch into 2 lines, one heading North up Lonsdale to the Upper Levels Highway, the other continuing West to Park Royal. Although sufficient densities exist along Marine Dr. to justify expansion, I did not show it on this map, because even with a burried line it would never be allowed in West Vancouver.
i think this purple line is an interesting proposal. while a train to northvan might or might not work (i'm thinking sea bus and a basic northshore light rail network would be best), the vancouver part could be a good idea in the long run. basically, you'd have stations in virtually every remaining underdeveloped quadrant of vancouver. like the m-line, your north van line would spur revelopment of the docks district between powell and hastings an area i think could eventually become very very cool low and mid rise), the broadway station hub, and several parts of central/south vancouver where there's very little going on. plus a real commerical drive station would be great (1st ave is perfect) and a station around kingsway/king edward/knight would be great (imagine if the city pushed this area as a high density live/work/play area).

the obvious question is cost. this would be hella expensive (probably impossibly so), and though i could see some justification for elevating it, running it down alleys and over streets, that would never get past the commercial drive gang - meaning it would have to start at broadway. still, if no. 3 road comes out well in richmond, maybe we'll have a precedent for knight street and we might look at an elevated train running down that street south of broadway, but then would do a lot of the work with a far lower cost.

at any rate, something needs to be done.

good rail down clark/night and commercial/victoria is essential, hell, make it a loop with turns on powell and marine drive s, and do both at once! anything that removes vancouver specials and replaces them with density receives almost irrational support from me.