View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was kind of shocked when I first saw that number for NS. People there constantly harp on how young people all move away. Likewise Canadians tend to think that outmigration from the Maritimes is huge; the primary phenomenon they think of when talking about the regions economy. 3-5% of the population leaving in total during a period of decades is not very significant.

This is much closer to being true for Newfoundland than it is for all of Atlantic Canada. A lot of the negative stereotypes applied to the Maritimes are based on confusion relating to Newfoundland.

Meanwhile as far as I can tell there is no negative national stereotype about economic refugees from Saskatchewan or Manitoba.
Many of the people I met in Nova Scotia back then certainly deserved every consequence of the stigma of being confused with Newfoundland by the rest of Canadians. But all that aside, I do find it strange how reputation dictates response. There aren't many regions of a developed country that could go through what Newfoundland did in the 1990s and elicit so little national sympathy. In my estimation, it all comes down to our reputation at that time.