View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I'm surprised he's marketing it as One Hudson Yard instead of One Hudson Boulevard.
That's exactly what I thought.

http://observer.com/2012/05/gary-bar...-hudson-yards/

Gary Barnett Goes Head-to-Head with Steve Ross at Hudson Yards

By Matt Chaban
May 29, 2012

Quote:
In our recent profile of Gary Barnett, The Observer included a litany of things done by Extell that Mr. Barnett considers to be “the best.” It is easily his favorite phrase, so a number of these superlatives were left on the editing room floor—the piece would have been twice as long, otherwise. One of those “bests” was 500 West 34th Street, previously known as the World Product Centre. “It’s the best site in all of Hudson Yards,” Mr. Barnett told us at the time. “It’s overlooking everything, and it’s right on top of the new subway.

That is almost exactly what he told the Post‘s Steve Cuozzo in revealing that the project is back on. So singular is the project Extell is now calling it One Hudson Yards. As you can imagine, the developer across the street actually developing the 26-acre megadevelopment of the same name was none too pleased with the announcement. Was Barnett worried the name might steam up Related chief Stephen M. Ross? “I’m not interested in steaming up anybody, much less Steve Ross,” Barnett told us. But Ross fumed, “I don’t know why he is trying to deceive tenants and the public.”

Oh that Gary Barnett—so coy! But the name is not the only thing underscoring his savvy on this project. Consider how he managed to get the MTA to help prep the site for his tower to rise. As the battle for tenants heats up—not only at Hudson Yards but the World Trade Center, too, and possibly even Midtown East as a rezoning of the area is underway—it will be interesting to see how these towers take shape and who of the development titans can claim victory.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.