View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
gothic? your assertion that bradley expansion combines somewhat gothic with culturally specific to googie is stretching it imho.

spanish clay tile shingles are about as emblematic of los angeles as crabgrass and california stucco (sarcasm intended).

i tend to side with the architects own assertion that the roofline was inspired by something as blatantly prosaic as "ocean waves" (whoaaa! what a concept, los angeles and ocean waaaaves? duuude! these guys like, totally deserve a pritzker!)

barajas is much more interesting and innovative from a purely structural standpoint than this, and much more daring. what we're getting is what the public works equivalent of a model home.

yea, i guess we disagree
If you look at the theme building as a pure form and not as representative of a style, what you have are ribs forming a vault. I won't take credit for this idea. I heard it in Vincent Scully's Introduction to Modern Architecture class.

A main element of the re-imagined entrance to Disney's CA Adventure will be buildings with spanish tile roofs. The entrance was inspired by 1920-1930's LA. I'd say that is as emblematic as it gets.

If Foster could win a Pritzker in part for designing an airport whose roofline was supposed to be culturally-specific by resembling a bird in flight and/or a calligraphic flourish, then you can't really discount an airport building on the basis of its prosaic symbolism alone.

Speaking of model or tract homes, you might want to do a little research before lavishing Barajas with such praise. The roof is prefabricated, modular construction. There could be nothing truly daring about the roof because that is where the architect decided to economize.

Last edited by LDVArch; Jul 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM.