View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:26 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
My outlook on the matter is a bit gloomy; I'll give you that. But I bet most will get in their cars, turn on the AC and drive somewhere else. San Antonio is very much a car culture, and people will only make minimal effort to go somewhere else without the comfort of air conditioning and upholstered seats for the 8 months out of 12 that it reaches 90ยบ or more in south Texas.

Also, why not push for retail in all neighborhoods with multi-unit dwellings? Make city living great again!
Every city developed after the world wars is a car centric city. Once the interstates were built and suburbs became a hit with families, car centric was the way of the future.

That doesn't change the fact that sure, they'll get in their car, but they aren't driving to stone oak or la canters every time. They'll drive to Southtown or the pearl or Alamo heights. Just like New Yorkers drive to other areas. Just like people in Washington DC drive to other places whether near or far. Just like Chicagoans drive to other areas. Just like Parisians drive. None of those dense. And urban cities are carless. San Antonio will never be carless. These urban infill projects are great and sure they'd be better with street level retail or commercial space, but that doesn't change that they're great projects none the less, because those residents will walk, bike, jog, drive, car pool, bus, uber, taxi, pedicab, barge their way to areas immediately surrounding them because those areas will attract them, for the same reason the housing attracted them.