View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 5:08 PM
Hindrance to Development

I went too, and yeah, it was basically the same stuff with a few new pictures and some shiny things like the big public park and the art school.

Assuming that the city decides moving the depot isn't feasible, then personally I'd agree that making the current depot the entrance to a larger depot that reaches from the current site to the tracks is a worthwhile idea. When I visited the Los Angeles union station this spring I'm sure that their walk to the tracks was at least as far as the planned stroll--by making use of the intervening space (Greyhound terminal, restaurants, etcetera) more goals might be met: continuing use of the existing depot structure, greatly expanded facility to facilitate intermodal use and future expansion, room for things like more boarding platforms and a parking structure, and you don't have to relocate the building.

I'm not sure why I keep getting placed on the opposite side of the discussion. For me, the highest priority is maintaining the use of the current depot, not necessarily rolling it. If the best way to do that is to build a big, big expansion on the back of the depot, then hey, I'm a happy guy.

And I think Soldier Field looks like an alien spacecraft buggering the Acropolis, but in many ways that's an acceptable irony in terms of the Columbian Exposition's effects on city planning over the past century.