View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 1:53 AM
Eye In The Sky

Set the way back machine to.........

Greetings all.

I thought I'd post these photos of what the rail yard shops looked like when the Southern Pacific was still around.

The photos where taken by me when I was a Docent at the California State Railroad Museum. A tour was arranged for members of the Docent Association and given by a Southern Pacific representative. Photo taking was encouraged.

The tour consisted of a complete walk through of the SP Sacramento yards as they existed then. As you will see in the photos, the inside of these buildings are huge.

I'll try and explain what these photos are depicting, but my memory is a little fuzzy. Also I can't remember what year this was taken. I want to say it was around 1988 or 1989 but I can't be exactly sure.

Anyhow, on with the show.

The first photo is looking west toward the 5 fwy.

This shot is looking eastward, in the distance you can see the old channel 3 transmission tower.

This picture shows the tour group, with the same older brick building in the previous shot.

This is the west side of the main locomotive building. Notice the sideways moving transfer table.

The next three photos give you a feeling of the size of this building.

Here we're inside the locomotive building looking north.

Here is the same area further back.

Now the group is on the south side of the Locomotive shop.

This is the other building. It's just as impressive.

Another shot inside the second building.

I had to splice two photos together to get this shot.

And here is the group leaving the SP yards after a fun day of walking around the yards.

Finally, an old photo of the Sacramento passenger train platform.

Hope you like them.