View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 9:30 PM

...and while we're spending some time around the 'ole tar pits...

LAPL

I don't drive past the Wilshire/Fairfax intersection all that often... I do, after all, live a fur piece away, except in my head. But when I have motored down The Fifth Avenue of the West, I've never noticed the big building, bottom, center-left. I suppose with all the upgrades to LACMA, the Peterson Museum, and the tower on the southwest corner I never would have assumed that it survives. But there it is, the additions, at least, apparently now home to chiropractors. I'm glad nothing has happened to Johnnies, at least yet. It might be nice to see the old Carthay Apartments building cleared of its frontal assaults and restored...but then again, they seem to have some noir-era charm, even if most if not all of its Vitrolite now seems to be gone, and should probably stay (he says as if he has any decision in the matter).

Google Street View

Google Street View

LAPL

Ca. 1978-79: Ya gotta LOVE that Lane's cocktails...glass bricks, curving entrance.... It could have been Edie Phillips's if she had been able to make a go of her Figueroa joint. But then, as she said to Karl on her way to San Quentin, "I'm Margaret de Lorca"...

LAPL
1956: Apt. 201½??

Re the top photo: The labels, in this case, aren't mine. Presumably the dotted line indicates planning for the Seibu/Orbachs/Peterson building....

Can anyone find an old pic of the Carthay Apartments sans the storefronts, and with the sign on top? Is the main building still apartments?

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM.