View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
it will kill a lot of the feel of the neighborhood. most of the commercial buildings on Clark are older brick buildings. To add something new, flashy, and glassy is gonna really change the dynamics and feel of the neighborhood. Id have no problem if this were going up on an empty lot, or replacing the McDonalds kiddy corner from the ballpark. But to destroy fully leased useful buildings seems like a waste, and a potential disaster for one of the most lively after-hours neighborhoods in the city.
Much of this development *will* go on underutilized land. Well, underutilized from my perspective, anyway. Looking at the buildings to be razed along Addison, the only building I will miss will be the building with the Starbucks in it: a charming 3 story, brick building. Most of the rest? One story, unremarkable commercial buildings that aren't enhancing the neighborhood an iota (except for those looking for tickets on game days). And thankfully, the empty lot on sheffield/addison will be gone.

True, the buildings lining clark are well used and have that classic Chicago feel. But I wouldn't say that any individual building there is worth saving. None are remarkable, IMO.

Looking at the cost/benefit of the entire project: we lose some nice, well utilized buildings, but gain nearly an entire city block of densely built commercial, residential and hotel space, much of which is built on underutilized land in a prime, transit friendly location.

How a person could view the project as a net loss is beyond me...