View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
Nobody said that Christianity is praised in every Asian household, I just said that the western influence is very apparent. And the numbers we use today are from Europe (check link). The Chinese calendar says it's the Fire Pig year: dīnghài (丁亥) Fire Pig 4704 February 18. Don't get mad and angry because the influence of the west has taken hold of a vast world audience that has influenced many countries. News Years Eve is solely a wetsern tradition that has recently taken part in Asian countries that have opened their arms to the west, such as Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and now China... interesting that these countries have US bases or are our primary trading partner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...umerals-en.svg
if you refer to my previous posts, you will realize that i was not being mad. i don't think my comments were far from reasonable logic.

and if you refer to your own post, you will realize that you said "I guess it's good that Christianity has taken roots way over in East Asia." putting aside the value judgment, i think your inference of chritian influence from the celebration of new year in taiwan is a total stretch. that's all i'm talking about (you should have realized that when i used the arabic numeral system as an example); i'm not disputing western influence in asian countries. I think western influence around the world is something we can all agree on, it's just a matter of degree. so maybe you should focus on the argument about christianity rather than referring to irrelevant evidence such as who's whose trading partner or copying entries from wikipedia.

if you want to back away from the word chrisitanity, i will gladly concede that it was a misunderstanding on the subject at stake, but you should understand that just because people disagree with you doesn't mean that they don't understand english (as you implied in your response to staff) or they are asians with inferiority complex who only argue with you because they are overshadowed by the all-mighty western influence (as you implied in your response to me).

Last edited by mountsac; Mar 27, 2007 at 9:36 PM.