View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 1:34 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
The reason why I name dropped Gastown and Queen Street was because I think that they are successful high density trendier neighborhoods, and that the Osborne area can learn a few things from them. Gastown has definitely changed since the last time you were there. So before we throw shade at another neighborhood, maybe we should tread carefully first? We can compare to any trendy neighbourhood you want if neither of those are your cup of tea; we've got a selection of them in our Country .

As for the burbies; what you see as unpleasant and a nuisance, I see them as evidence for some movement in Winnipeg (even in Winter, and that is RARE). And we both know that there isn't a lot of movement in Winnipeg to begin with. From my point of view, it can be an element for Osborne to draw from.

For the record I am in no way trying to suggest that we destroy a neighborhood's energy. What I am suggesting is some vision for the future. Like I mentioned before, the Osborne and Corydon areas have got several recipes for potential. One thing that Winnipeg needs is a vision for the future, and that future needs to include the Osborne area.

I mean no one else has talked about what Osborne (or Winnipeg for that matter) will look like in 2030 or even in 2020.
The problem with the burbs is they come into an area like Osborne Village because they want to feel a sense of neighbourhood because they can't get that feeling from the shitty neighbourhoods they live in.

Instead of changing Osborne Village to better suit the suburbanites, perhaps we should change suburbia to Osborne Village standards? I think that's where Winnipeg should move to in 2020/2030.