View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:49 PM

^yeah, WW was supposed to be a reasonably dense, urban suburb. In a typical NDP bait and switch, it went from having 40000 to 30000 to 14000 homes, or whatever its capacity is now.

And Snyder is right, like he tends to be--get rid of parking requirements, setback rules, and density zoning and suburbs will incrementally become more urban. Just like they did before parking requirements, setback rules and density zoning existed. Streets like St. Annes's and Portage already have some street front and mixed used development--almost all of it from decades ago. There's no reason they shouldn't be lined with 3-6 floor mixed use buildings but that the city won't allow it.

I saw a nice video recently of how Melbourne plans to increase its population without building any more infrastructure, simply by reducing regulations along transit routes. Besides increasing density and making neighborhood streets in the suburbs, it preserves the single-family home environment off the main streets. Combine this with a proliferation of carriage houses and basement suites, and suburbs could easily double their population density, increase transit usage, improve neighborhood amenities, and people could still have big decks and garages.

Vancouver gets a lot of attention for its point towers next to the skytrain, but this kind of low-impact densification has been quietly and successfully going on for a long time there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
The reason why I name dropped Gastown and Queen Street was because I think that they are successful high density trendier neighborhoods, and that the Osborne area can learn a few things from them. Gastown has definitely changed since the last time you were there. So before we throw shade at another neighborhood, maybe we should tread carefully first? We can compare to any trendy neighbourhood you want if neither of those are your cup of tea; we've got a selection of them in our Country .

As for the burbies; what you see as unpleasant and a nuisance, I see them as evidence for some movement in Winnipeg (even in Winter, and that is RARE). And we both know that there isn't a lot of movement in Winnipeg to begin with. From my point of view, it can be an element for Osborne to draw from.

For the record I am in no way trying to suggest that we destroy a neighborhood's energy. What I am suggesting is some vision for the future. Like I mentioned before, the Osborne and Corydon areas have got several recipes for potential. One thing that Winnipeg needs is a vision for the future, and that future needs to include the Osborne area.

I mean no one else has talked about what Osborne (or Winnipeg for that matter) will look like in 2030 or even in 2020.
Osborne and Corydon already work, Heisenberg. Government meddling will only fuck them up. See the recent parking plan for Corydon.

Dennis, I'm not sure I get your point but Kawaii is owned by Village residents.