View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2018, 11:30 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
And NYguy, I said clearly in one of my posts that I believe there are TWO defining features to this building: the shape and the bracing. You believe there is only one: the shape. In that case they should have just done away with the diagonal bracing altogether and just had a sleek, sharp building, like that model you posted.

Like Hemeroscopium said, the bracing in its original proposed form had an organic appearance like veins that seems to grow and stretch upwards, making the building look alive and giving it a sense of vitality...

I think the reason we are disagreeing so strongly is that we are both responding to this building like a work of art/sculpture, and as we know art brings out many different interpretations in people. For me, the irregular, 3 dimensional bracing was an important part in evoking certain feelings about this building...it felt organic, skeletal.

The way you are speaking as if you are the single authority on interpreting a work of art is totally ignorant and frankly quite rude. Would you walk into an art gallery and tell people their interpretation of a work is wrong? When interpreting art, ALL aspects of the piece work together to evoke a feeling, from the overall shape, the materials, textures, finishing details, lighting, etc. It's a package deal.

The irony here is that you call this building a work of art yet you are disrespectful of any artistic interpretations of it other than your own.

Telling me to go back into hiding and questioning my credibility? Ya okay.
Beautifully said! Your critiques of the building are completely valid and I too expected the "bracing" to protrude as well. In the end, I'm just happy this building passed all the hurdles and was built than not at all!