View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 6:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
- Citizens of the UK, Australia, New Zealand, the US and France should be cap-exempt (meaning that immigrants from these countries won't count against the 500K target). Consider adding more countries to the cap-exempt list as time goes on.
A reason to do this would be that maybe the flows in and out would roughly balance. In the best case there wouldn't be a lot of demographic drawbacks but more people would get to live where they want. I am not sure I'd permanently move away but the idea of easily working in the UK or Australia for a couple years seems neat.

It's not a guarantee that this is how it would play out though. I think it has the most chance of success currently with Australia and New Zealand. I don't think it's a great idea with the US because of proximity, the huge size imbalance, and differences in income distribution and quality of life between the two countries. Unless other things change, your proposal amounts to us agreeing to pay for healthcare for the poorest X% of Americans.