View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
International students getting free tuition? I mean, money is the whole point in having them in the first place. I suppose if it were free we'd have to be more selective which would certainly be a good thing but...

I guess the reasons behind some of your ideas aren't as self-evident as you might believe.

How about encouraging Canadians to have larger families so you don't need to do any of the things you listed above?
I agree that international students are currently viewed as a source of money to help offset domestic students' tuition.

However, I think we can view it differently, too. International students who graduate from Canadian universities can be an excellent source of immigrants. They will be highly educated and well-positioned to contribute to Canada in many ways. Canada could become an important global hub for education, and focus on building economic clusters centered on its universities (like Kitchener-Waterloo to a limited extent).

And it's not entirely absurd, there are European countries that offer highly subsidized or free tuition for international students.