View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
I was more taken with the THINK proposal than the Libeskind entry
At the time, I too was more in favor of THINK's over Libeskind's. But when both went back for modification, THINKS "towers" were basically stripped and reduced about 300 ft in height. Everything was hopeless at the time, but you knew that Silverstein (along with Childs) was the wildcard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
I wasn't particularly happy with how Childs strong-armed himself into the project.
That's not the way it was at all. David Childs was there from the beginning, he was always going to design the buildings. Specific designs of the towers were only given in the second round to try and satisfy public appetite, but it was selecting a site plan that was the goal of the process. The Freedom Tower is going to be 1,776 ft because it marks a specific point of American history. David Childs had other ideas on how to mark that, but Governor Pataki agreed with Libeskind that it should echo the State of Liberty's raised torch.

Pataki himself became so involved in the Freedom Tower's design that it led to this cartoon in the NY Post...

Bug even my favorite of the group, Foster's design, would have been altered somewhat to accomodate the broadcasters who are moving back to the site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.