View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:52 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

The theme song for the leading construction project in this week's update...

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
According to The Possum, at the WSTB Forum, they found contamination in the sub-basement. This will require acceptance in the brownfields program, but it should provide tax credits to the developer for the renovation. walker, at the WSTB Forum, said another developer will likely take over this project. So, this project will likely stop work, soon, for several months. smain, at the WSTB Forum, said they had a dump truck at the site yesterday and there was evidence of workers at the site.

Credit: winston_360

500 West Fifth Street:
Two weeks until construction starts! They filed paper work, recently, ahead of the sale.

Credit: sobieit

An awesome photograph of 500 West Fifth Street from the Northwest Industrial District:

Credit: passion2moody

A smaller view with just the buildings (500 West Fifth Street is on the far right):

Credit: passion2moody

Gallery Lofts II:
TwinCity, at the WSTB Forum, provided an update on this project. They now have the zoning and we have more details. This project will have 42 studio apartments, a saltwater pool, grilling area, parking under the building, and it will break ground in 2018. In the first proposal, the developer didn't want any parking in his development, but complaints by a school over street-side parking led to the developer agreeing to add a small amount of parking under the proposed building. The zoning the developer was granted is for residential buildings without parking. Residents in downtown's IQ District are starting to complain about the large number of closed streets and sidewalks for downtown construction projects. The developer has agreed to avoid long-term streets closures. I don't know if that applies to sidewalks or not?

1794 Boy's School Restoration:
We haven't seen any updates on this project in a long time! I haven't seen an update on the actual restoration of the 1794 building in months. I do occasionally find an update on the two small buildings being reconstructed behind the building, though. And that is what we have this week. Old Salem Inc., said "Progress on the Boys' School Piazza construction. When completed, this will provide additional experiential learning space for our visitors."

Reconstruction of the Piazza behind the original 1794 brick school building:

Credit: oldsaleminc

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
It almost looks the same as it did a few weeks ago.

Credit: linvilleteam

Link Apartments Downtown:

The days are numbered (demolition) for the 1951 windowless box known as the Security Life & Trust Building:

Credit: swoorm

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:
This project will be completed in three weeks. Architect Glenn Fulk did a great job with this project!

Concrete Pour:

Credit: glennfulk

HVAC / Duct Work:

Credit: bookmarksnc

Testing colors:

The original steel windows look great:

MINIM:
The sidewalk is open again. I don't see any equipment on the site, currently? The pit is still fenced-off. Twin City Slice has this on their facebook page "As they tear the building down next to us (which is fun to watch) they have revealed several small tin signs on the side of Twin City Slice! They reference E.W. O'Hanlons Drug Store in Winston. (Winston-Salem combined in 1913)" That building was demolished, after a fire, in March 1913. It was replaced by The O'Hanlon skyscraper, built in 1915. Yes, The O'Hanlon is a current adaptive reuse project on our construction list.

This sign still has some of its original color:

Credit: twincityslice

Credit: twincityslice

Friday Morning View:

Credit: dellalawson

New Jobs:
A Turkish company has bought a building in Winston-Salem and is seeking city/county/state incentives to create nearly 400 new jobs and make a major investment in the building.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

This appears to be from around May 15:

Credit: photos_by_caleb127

From Saturday:

Credit: itsmemaggz

Fortune 500:
Winston-Salem is second only to Charlotte in the Carolinas in Fortune 500 headquarters. There are three Fortune 500 headquarters in the Winston-Salem city limits and two are in skyscrapers in downtown Winston-Salem. Charlotte has five Fortune 500 headquarters in their city limits.

Winston-Salem Fortune 500 Headquarters:
223: Reynolds American - $12.5 billion (RAI Plaza Skyscraper)
245: BB&T - $11.5 billion (BB&T Financial Center Skyscraper)
432: Hanesbrands - $6.1 billion

When ranked by Market Capitalization, Reynolds American is the second largest headquarters in North Carolina, at $92 billion. Winston-Salem based Reynolds American and Winston-Salem based BB&T are the only Triad companies in North Carolina's top five by Market Capitalization list. Winston-Salem has a large number of major corporate headquarters.

757 North Apartments: Built!
The TBJ and a designer, working on the project, provided a nice update. 757 North Apartments will be officially completed on July 1, however, the developer held an open house and it seems to be unofficially completed as of last Thursday? I've decided to show it as completed in this update. The developer has already leased apartments in this building, including several leased to people who haven't seen a model or the building! They call these "site-unseen" leases. I'm amazed at how quickly apartment buildings are fully leased in downtown Winston-Salem. On social media, the interior designer (Onyx Interiors) said "Projects like these take over a year to complete, so you can only imagine how excited I was to finally see the vision come to fruition ❤️ more pics to follow of the cafe, fitness center and leasing offices!"

Credit: TBJ

Credit: TBJ

This room was completed on Wednesday:

Credit: onyx_interiors

Roll-up doors in the lobby:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Open House:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
I never thought we would see an update on this.

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Asphalt Milling:

Credit: flysmithreynolds

QS World University Rankings:
Wake Forest University was ranked among the best universities in the world.

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
They are preparing to begin construction on the entrance plaza restaurant space, on the far northeast corner of the site.

A great view of the glass installed on the north facade:

Credit: triadrepro

Large concrete pumper truck to pour a floor in the east wing:

Credit: x1communications

A rare look at the other side:

Credit: somethingshane

More of the other side:

Credit: paintmonsters

Another view from the other side, showing the elevated railroad boardwalk:

Credit: paintmonsters

Friday Evening - Glass installation on north facade and wrap on expansion:

Credit: hypetheengineer

View of crane from Bailey Park:

Credit: jimlarosee

Credit: oldpine58

A rare detailed look at the corner steel-work:

Credit: vivi.fonck

607 North Trade Building:

Signage is installed for the two restaurants:

Credit: carolina_signs

Credit: acreativemindpw

Salem Lake Marina:
Someone serving on the city's Parks & Recreation board took these photographs. She said the building will open at the end of this month or early next month.

We haven't seen this view of the building... I didn't recognize it from this view:

Credit: suzyfielders

This is our first look at the view from Salem Lake Marina:

Quarry Park:

Credit: jeejuno

Someone serving on the city's Parks & Recreation board took a photograph of the view:

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
It's not even completed and look at all of the cyclists already using it! ...while it's still under construction! Wow! This is very popular!

Most people seem to photograph it from this location:

Credit: xxbowiexx

In this view, we can see the street name markers:

Credit: ajohnsoniv

The street name markers are made from the original Victorian street curbing they removed when they demolished and rebuilt all of the streets for the downtown innovation district.

Some people are already crossing over to the construction section:

Credit: gutterfromthecut

If the music video (the photograph above is advertising) includes the high line project, it could be worth sharing in this thread?

This is an unusual angle we haven't seen before: (I like the color-changing light tower)

Credit: dertyconejo

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

A Reynolds Wrap sculpture: (Richard Reynolds, nephew of R.J. Reynolds, founded the aluminum foil company in 1919 to make foil for food & cigarette wrappers)

Credit: dougcunn

Bailey Park Aerial:

Credit: _froonthego

Credit: innovationquarter

A nice ballpark & skyline view from Hawthorne Hill (Silver Ridge almost blocks the view):

Credit: andriahjones

Credit: francesbarringer

Credit: ellentrashtelis

This is the city I post on:

Credit: 1katiegentry