View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 8:08 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I think you misunderstood their comments. It's not the overhangs, or protruding (oriel) windows, they have a problem with.... it's the lack of enough (or any?) canopies over the sidewalks to provide weather protection. I have to agree, the overhangs on the building are mostly too high above the sidewalk to provide adequate shelter when it's raining.

Also, I think the alleyway will actually be a very dynamic space with fairly high pedestrian traffic. It looks like the buildings will open directly into that alley making it more of a courtyard than a service entrance. We have so few alleyways here in Portland, but they can be some the best urban spaces if done well.
How do you figure? Looking at the drafts, it looks like it is more or less just a walkway between two buildings that will be fairly dark with very little existing connections to it unless the current building under construction really opens up to it, which I don't think it does.

It looks nice in renderings, but this is basically a great alleyway for a heroin addict to shoot up in. I like the concept, but I don't imagine it being any more active than the alleyway by the Eliot Tower, and that one is much more inviting that this one would be.